One Stop Weird Shoppe

I opened my brain, and look what fell out

Saturday, February 18, 2006

I feel awful

Oh my god, am I ever sick. I thought when you lived in Southern California, it was too warm to get sick! But here I am, at home on a Saturday afternoon, wrapped up in a heating blanket, surrounded by my cats, and coughing and blowing my nose to rid my bug-ridden body of generic goo.
I hate being sick, especially on the weekends. It's like a waste of perfectly good time away from work.
I'd rather be sick during the week. I don't call in sick, though. If I'm going to be miserable, I may as well go to work.
Besides, if I call in sick to work, I feel like I'm letting people down, or that people think I'm lying about being sick (just because I think that when other people call in sick. You can always tough it out and go to work).
My parents never called in sick, not ever. My mom was back teaching two weeks after delivering each of us. My dad went back to work a month and a half after a massive heart attack.
Obviously, that's had an effect.
Really, though, the fact that I'm sick isn't that big a surprise. I work in a huge office, lots of shared computers and phones (nomadic employees, you see), and it seems like if one person gets sick, it's only a matter of time before others get sick.
And I'm sick!
:-(
If I thought being sick was miserable when I was a kid (no running around, no playing outside, and if your parents quaratined you like mine did, no TV, since the only TV was in the living room), it's even worse when you're an adult and you either have to take care of yourself, or ask your friends to help you.
Luckily, my boyfriend is emotionally, if not legally obligated to help me, getting me drinks, putting on DVDs I want to watch, going and getting me McDonald's (even though it's his D&D day with the boys).
That's nice.
Also nice: According to my usual sick cycle, this day will be the worst of it!
Hurrah for my body's immune system!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home