One Stop Weird Shoppe

I opened my brain, and look what fell out

Friday, March 11, 2005

Relatively famous

I saw pictures today of Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek at Morrison's grave on what would have been the Lizard King's 60th birthday.
How would you feel if you were the members of the Doors who weren't Jim Morrison? At first, it's cool. But all of a sudden, he's the one getting the choicest groupies and the best drugs.
Do you get jealous? Or are you happy for the leftovers and content to bask in the glow?
How does that affect your self-esteem?
The law of averages and common sense (and a healthy knowledge of history) would seem to tell us that for every Jim Morrison, there are Robby Kriegers and Ray Manzareks.
There simply can't be enough fame to go around for everyone, can there? The lightning flash of fame strikes once, and in the case of the Doors, it struck Jim Morrison.
If your cousin is Tom Cruise, for example, maybe you should just give up acting. Go and be the best artist in your family, or maybe the best teacher, but you will never be the most successful actor in your family. (One Stop Weird Shoppe note: We actually enjoy and appreciate the work of William Mapother, especially in "Lost," "In the Bedroom" and "The Grudge." But last year, Cruise was ranked the fourth most powerful celebrity by Forbes.)
I want to be a successful writer. But according to my theory, if my friends get famous, it decreases my chances.
What does that say about me that I wonder about things like that?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home